Ringsbury’s Ruminations

I don’t think I ever told you about how I became herd leader at Golden Valley llamas, did I?  Here’s what happened.

When Silbury, Avebury and I came to Old King Street Farm, Silbury and I were a couple of weeks short of our first birthday and Avebury was 7 weeks younger than us.  We all knew each other well and had spent time with a herd of older llamas who had sometimes had to tell us who was Boss.

Well, without the Big Boys around we had to have our own herd leader. There were two applicants. Avebury was out of the running from the start.  He’s too gentle and doesn’t command respect like me.  As the months went by, Silbury started to be really annoying – picking
arguments with me over some hay or grass or leaves, and who’s seen a particularly tasty snack first.  We would have to have a discussion about it, which consisted of us trying to bite each other’s fore ankles,
rear knees and tail.  All very well, but then Avebury would come over all confused and climb on me.  So no wonder Silbury was sometimes able to take advantage and force me onto my front knees.  What a sight!

This went on for several months.  In the field we started to challenge each other and this is spectacular.  We reared up on our hind legs and banged our chests together.  We just didn’t see eye to eye, but the
disagreement would never last long.

Our final bust-up came when Silbury had annoyed me just once too often. He’s nimble and quick and can turn away from a challenge so I’d sometimes be floundering in the air.  I’d had enough and told him I no uncertain terms that enough is enough!  Silbury concurred.  He found a gap in the fence, squeezed out and left home.  By all accounts he was found standing in the beer garden of the pub in the village and was
promptly rounded up and brought home with his tail between his legs.

A short time later, Silbury, Avebury and I had a visit from the doctor, and though I don’t remember much about it, because we were sedated, we had an operation and within a very few weeks our desire to fight had gone.  But I was herd leader and I still am.

And things go full circle don’t they?  Now we have two young chaps at Old King Street Farm – Croft Ambrey and Kennett, aged 11 and 9 months, and the bickering has started all over again.  It’s mild enough and
Kennett is surprisingly adept in their contests.  He’s nimble and the much larger Croft Ambrey doesn’t use his full weight.  But, no doubt the discussions will continue.  I’ve had a word with our gentle female
person and she’s told me the miracle calming operation is lined up for when the boys have turned 18 months or so.

They are good little llamas actually and this week helped escort a party of big and little people around our fields for the first time.  I think they enjoyed it and the children certainly did.  Last night we were
released into a new run and Kennett and Croft Ambrey started pogoing along.  Soon, we all joined in, and the seven boys were bouncing along the fence line, whilst the girls in the adjoining field were running
along with us.  A bunch of pogoing llamas is a very funny and jolly sight!

More llama chat soon.  Herd Leader Ringsbury signing off.

Posted in