Herefordshire holiday cottages
'The best weekend break I have had'
Set amid the peace and beauty of the Golden Valley, the holiday cottages at Old King Street Farm will give you a relaxed and interesting stay in the heart of the Welsh Marches just twelve miles from Hereford and Abergavenny. Half a mile from a village with two country pubs with restaurants, a village shop and post office, and a butchers, you have all you need on your doorstep.
With breathtaking views and situated on a quiet lane next to the main farmhouse, Pomona Cottage (sleeps Four) and The Cider House (sleeps Two) are both modern and comfortable. They are newly restored from our 18th century barns. With a mix of old oak beams and ultra modern bathrooms, old stone feature walls and underfloor heating, the accommodation is extremely spacious and stylish.
The ten acres of Old King Street Farm has woodland, a lake, a stream, and our herd of eighteen llamas quietly grazing nearby. Guests may wish to take a llama trek and explore the Black Mountains during their stay.
- The Cider House sleeps 2 and has been awarded a five star rating by Visit Wales
- Upstairs is the very large 25-foot long double bedroom. At one end, nestled beneath the oval owl-hole window is the King-sized antique brass bedstead. Attractive oak flooring throughout. A large walk-in wardrobe and a dressing table are provided
- Off the bedroom is the bathroom with roll-top bath and separate shower
- The ground floor is open-plan with a living area merging into the kitchen / dining area
- The fitted kitchen is newly equipped with an electric oven, ceramic hob, dishwasher, washing machine, fridge and separate deep freeze
- Under-floor heating throughout the stone-tiled ground floor
- Comfortable furniture with settee and matching armchair.
- Pomona Cottage which sleeps 4 has been awarded a four star rating by Visit Wales and has a Mobility Impairment Level M1 rating - the disabled access making it suitable for less-able guests
- The ground floor - with no stepped access from the parking area - has a twin bedroom with dressing table and wardrobe, open-plan 22-foot long living area, kitchen / dining area and attractively tiled shower-room
- Upstairs is the double bedroom with a fine King-sized bed, oak flooring, wardrobe and chest of drawer.
- The fitted kitchen is newly refurbished with an electric oven, ceramic hob, dishwasher, washing machine and fridge with freezer compartment
- There is underfloor heated stone throughout the ground floor for that truly luxurious feeling
- The stylish modern wooden furniture is made from ash, whilst the living area has two settees and two comfortable chairs
- Cot and high chair available on request in either cottage
- Broadband wireless WIFI connection to both cottages
- No smoking or pets
- All linen and towels provided
- Both cottages have tv with Freeview
- Ample off-road car-parking
The two cottages can be inter-linked at first floor level, providing accommodation for six.
The Cider House and Pomona Cottage subtly mix the traditional with the new. They have a wealth of old oak beams, modern facilities, stone walls and piping hot water
The prices for a week's stay in the cottages range from £370 low season in the Cider House to £640 high season in Pomona Cottage.
Pomona Cottage £430
Cider House £370
Pomona Cottage £530
Cider House £450
Pomona Cottage £640
Cider House £530
Short break prices are available - see the Information page
Testimonials from guests who have stayed in the cottages:
- 'The cottage is absolutely lovely. The simplicity of the interior design suits the rustic style'
- 'The best weekend break I have had'
- 'Wow! Enchanting accommodation. Greeted with the warmest of welcomes'
- 'The cleanliness, lack of clutter, and the sensitive attention to materials and details of finish made an immediate impression'
- 'Cottage is truly tranquil - a lovely peaceful setting'
- 'Liked the original stone and the oak woodwork, but mainly the easy access and simplicity - easy to look after'
- 'Good layout, lights downstairs are really bright if trying to read. Really nicely furnished which makes it different from lots of other holiday cottages - top marks for this'
- 'Has a lovely feel - kitted out and furnished really well, but not cluttered. It's nice that there are matching sets of things like towels and crockery. Temperature is ideal and lighting also very good. Also bed mattress is great and the bed is long enough for tall people!'
- We liked the oak, the high ceilings, the bed, the bath, the rural setting, the welcome gifts'
- 'What a fantastic place - Dave recommends the beer at 'The Dog''
- 'My best birthday ever'.
Basing yourself in one of our Herefordshire holiday cottages, here are some things to do during your stay in 2018:
- Go llama trekking with our herd of llamas - now numbering 15
- See Hereford Cathedral with its stupendous Mappa Mundi and the world's largest Chained Library
- Visit the book town of Hay-on-Wye and immerse yourself in the bookshops
- Shop in the market towns of Abergavenny, Monmouth, Ledbury, Ludlow, Chepstow and Ross
- The area has more castles per square mile than anywhere else in Europe. Take a trip round some of our Norman castles
- The Hereford Walking Festival takes place in June every year
- Experience fine dining at the Walnut Tree, Nant-y-ffin, the Bell at Skenfrith, or the Kilpeck Inn restaurants. The Temple Bar Inn in the heart of Ewyas Harold has an excellent restaurant
The holiday cottages were converted from the original cider house and carriage house in 2006.
All legal standards in relation to safety regulations, fire regulations, heating, electrical supply, lighting, plumbing, location of heat sources have been adhered to. Both cottages are heated by an oil fired boiler situated in another building ten yards distant from Pomona Cottage. There is underfloor heating throughout the ground floors of both cottages and a radiator system on the first floor.
Fire safety blankets are situated adjacent to the cookers in each cottage.
There are two entrances to Pomona Cottage - one with one step of 180mm and the other with level access for wheelchair users. Internal doors on the ground floor of Pomona Cottage are wider than normal widths to allow a wheelchair user access to the downstairs twin bedroom and the shower-room.
Both cottages are open plan to allow ease of access and free movement throughout.
The entrance to the Cider House has a step of 200mm.
The cottages have level firm gravelled parking areas immediately in front, clear of obstructions. Both cottages have good garden seating, that of Pomona Cottage being situated 4 metres from the doors.
Many of the photographs on this website were taken by William and Ilana Richards. Our very grateful thanks to them